Re: How to simulate crashes of PostgreSQL?

From: Sergey Samokhin <prikrutil(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to simulate crashes of PostgreSQL?
Date: 2009-08-24 20:26:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello!

> If, however, you mean a crash of the server machine PostgreSQL is
> runnning on, which is MUCH more likely and will have different
> effects/behaviour, then Ray Stell's advice to bring the interface down
> is probably pretty good.

Sorry for a bit ambiguous usage of both "crash" and "fault" terms. By
those words I meant crash of the server machine PostgreSQL is running
on, not the PostgreSQL itself. Network outages between client and
PostgreSQL are also kind of something I would like to simulate in any
way.

Though I don't think there are any differences between the crash of
PosgreSQL itself and the crash of the machine PostgreSQL is running on
from the client's point of view.

Yet another way to simulate this terrible behaviour I've found is to
stop PostgreSQL by "pg_ctl -m immediate" command.

Thanks to all who has answered in this topic! It was very helpful to read it!

--
Sergey Samokhin