Fwd: Interesting performance behaviour

From: Joey Smith <joeysmith(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: Interesting performance behaviour
Date: 2004-09-10 22:02:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

Accidentally sent directly to Josh.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joey Smith <joeysmith(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:57:49 -0600
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Interesting performance behaviour
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com

> > I see a similar speedup (and change in query plan) using "LIMIT 1
> > OFFSET <anything besides 0>".
>
> So what's your problem?

The problem is that "LIMIT 1 OFFSET 0" has such poor performance. I'm
not so much worried about the query time (it's still low enough to be
acceptable), but the fact that it behaves oddly raised the question of
whether this was correct behaviour or not. I'll try it with a saner
value for effective_cache_size.