Re: bug postgresql version 1.8.4

From: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
To: andri rahman hakim <gundholmu(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)id>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bug postgresql version 1.8.4
Date: 2009-05-26 11:25:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

andri rahman,

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:19 AM, andri rahman hakim
<gundholmu(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)id>wrote:

> hi...I am new user in using postgresql.
> I try to install postgresql version 1.8.4, in my disk (C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL 8.3)

I assume you are trying to install PostreSQL 8.3.7 from the MSI installer or
the OneClickInstaller on Windows. As Vista, Server 2003, Server 2008,
Windows XP and Windows 7 differ quite intensly on the relevant security
details, you should provide more information.

"1.8.4" is the version of pgadmin 3, a PostgreSQL administration tool
bundled within the PostgreSQL windows installers.

here is an error while I install it to my PC. the installer cannot create
> folder and file "...\data\postgresql.conf"

That suggests:

a) either the user running the installer does not have enough privileges to
create that folder

b) that folder would be a subfolder of another folder with charcters in its
name that are not considered valid. Non-ASCII PathNames are possible
candidates.

to rule out b): try to install into a "simple" folder like c:/andri

to check a): what are the permissions on that directory for the user running

>and the result, I can start the server.
>now, what should I do to fix it???

To get more detailed feedback, please do provide:

a) exact Windows Version you are using, incl. language-Version
b) exact PostgreSQL installer you are using (for example provide download
URL, as there are 2 available installers

best wishes,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa