Re: BUG #4771: Postgres wont start

From: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
To: Christine Penner <christinep(at)telus(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4771: Postgres wont start
Date: 2009-04-23 09:45:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Christine,

when PostgreSQL does not start on Windows, the first place to look for
errors is the Microsoft Windows EventLog. That is the standard place to
report errors.

You can dig there via Control Panel; exact click path depending on your
Windows Version (XP / Vista / W2003 / W2008 / W7); or start a commandline
and type eventvwr (works on all)

There you go to the errors of "Application"; and track down the information
of the PostgreSQL service.

In my experience (~ 200 different Windows Computers in ~15 Administrative
Environments) the most common errors are:

- "something" is taking away the "run-as-service"-privilege of the
postgres-Windows-User. Likely culprits for "something" are GroupPolicies
within ActiveDirectory. To be more challenging, it does not happen
immediately, but after x days of normal working

- "something" is taking away access rights to the PostgreSQL Data Directory
/ the PostgreSQL Configuration files

- Switching distributions between versions (from pginstaller to one click
installer or vice versa)

- Difference within PostgreSQL packagings ("pg_debugger" was default
acitvated in 8.3.0-8.3.4; and is no more default activated by default in
8.3.7; a line with "preload pg_debugger " in postgresql.conf may lead to non
starting PostgreSQL service)

- Some (anti)viral products block the access off ports; or files, or
starting of processes by Postgresql.

Most of these errors are best detected by checking the error log. (just with
AntiVir Products you're in the wild, most of the time. Check their
logfiles!)

Harald

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 5:08 AM, Christine Penner <christinep(at)telus(dot)net>wrote:

> I get no error. The only way I know its not connected is by trying to log
> in to pgAdmin. It tells me the server doesn't listen. Then I told it to
> start. Last time that worked. Now it won't start at all but it never gives
> any error.
>
> When I tried to open it with pg_ctl it tells me can not open PID file
> (Postmaster.pid). Permission denied. That's odd because I am an
> administrative user on Vista and it was working at one point.
>
> Should Postgres not be in the Program Files directory for Vista?
> In any case how to I fix it. I want to at least get the data out so I can
> re load it. I have a backup but its not as recent as I would like.
>
> Christine
>

> At 10:46 PM 4/21/2009, you wrote:

>> signature database 4029 (20090422) __________

>> http://www.eset.com