Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements
Date: 2021-05-13 04:18:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021/05/13 13:03, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 11:33:32PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> It may depends on your next question

>>> No, it will say "on". What the patch I sent implements is:
>>
>> I was asking what pg_settings.source will say:
>>
>> SELECT name, soource FROM pg_settings;
>
> Oh sorry. Here's the full output before and after a dynamic call to
> queryIsWanted():
>
> name | compute_query_id
> setting | auto
> unit | <NULL>
> category | Statistics / Monitoring
> short_desc | Compute query identifiers.
> extra_desc | <NULL>
> context | superuser
> vartype | enum
> source | default
> min_val | <NULL>
> max_val | <NULL>
> enumvals | {auto,on,off}
> boot_val | auto
> reset_val | auto
> sourcefile | <NULL>
> sourceline | <NULL>
> pending_restart | f
>
> =# LOAD 'pg_qualstats'; /* will call queryIsWanted() */
> WARNING: 01000: Without shared_preload_libraries, only current backend stats will be available.
> LOAD
>
> name | compute_query_id
> setting | on
> unit | <NULL>
> category | Statistics / Monitoring
> short_desc | Compute query identifiers.
> extra_desc | <NULL>
> context | superuser
> vartype | enum
> source | default
> min_val | <NULL>
> max_val | <NULL>
> enumvals | {auto,on,off}
> boot_val | auto
> reset_val | auto
> sourcefile | <NULL>
> sourceline | <NULL>
> pending_restart | f
>
> So yes, it says "default" (and it's the same if the change is done during
> postmaster init). It can be fixed if that's the only issue.

I like leaving compute_query_id=auto instead of overwriting it to "on",
even when queryIsWanted() is called, as I told upthread. Then we can decide
that query id computation is necessary when compute_query_id=auto and
the special flag is enabled by queryIsWanted(). Of course as you and Magnus
discussed upthread, the issue in EXEC_BACKEND case should be fixed,
maybe by using save_backend_variables() or something, though.

If we do this, compute_query_id=auto seems to be similar to huge_pages=try.
When huge_pages=try, whether huge pages is actually used is defined depending
outside PostgreSQL (i.e, OS setting in this case). Neither pg_settings.setting nor
souce are not changed in that case.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao