Storage space usage

From: "Gangadharan S(dot)A(dot)" <gangadharan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Storage space usage
Date: 2008-02-01 08:44:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,
I have 2 questions regarding the storage optimization done by Postgres:
1) Is a NULL value optimized for storage. If I have a timestamp (or some
such) field that I set to default NULL, will it still use up the full space
for the data type.
2) Similarly, if I have a text array, is an empty array optimized for
storage?
Thanks,
Gangadharan