Re: HFS+ pg_test_fsync performance

From: Mel Llaguno <mllaguno(at)coverity(dot)com>
To: desmodemone <desmodemone(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HFS+ pg_test_fsync performance
Date: 2014-04-15 14:31:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

My 2 cents :

The results are not surprising, in the linux enviroment the i/o call of pg_test_fsync are using O_DIRECT (PG_O_DIRECT) with also the O_SYNC or O_DSYNC calls, so ,in practice, it is waiting the "answer" from the storage bypassing the cache in sync mode, while in the Mac OS X it is not doing so, it's only using the O_SYNC or O_DSYNC calls without O_DIRECT, in practice, it's using the cache of filesystem , even if it is asking the sync of io calls.

Bye

Mat Dba

--------

Thanks for the explanation. Given that OSX always seems to use filesystem cache, is there a way to measure fsync performance that is equivalent to Linux? Or will the use of pg_test_fsync always be inflated under OSX? The reason I ask is that we would like to make a case with a customer that PG performance on OSX/HFS+ would be sub-optimal compared to using Linux/EXT4 (or FreeBSD/UFS2 for that matter).

Thanks, Mel