Re: Pluggable toaster

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable toaster
Date: 2022-02-02 07:34:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I agree ... but I'm also worried about what happens when we have
> multiple table AMs. One can imagine a new table AM that is
> specifically optimized for TOAST which can be used with an existing
> heap table. One can imagine a new table AM for the main table that
> wants to use something different for TOAST. So, I don't think it's
> right to imagine that the choice of TOASTer depends solely on the
> column data type. I'm not really sure how this should work exactly ...
> but it needs careful thought.

Right. that's why we propose a validate method (may be, it's a wrong
name, but I don't known better one) which accepts several arguments, one
of which is table AM oid. If that method returns false then toaster
isn't useful with current TAM, storage or/and compression kinds, etc.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/