Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server

From: Eduardo Piombino <drakorg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server
Date: 2010-01-13 19:13:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg, I will post more detailed data as soon as I'm able to gather it.

I was trying out if the cancellation of the ALTER cmd worked ok, I might
give the ALTER another try, and see how much CPU, RAM and IO usage gets
involved. I will be doing this monitoring with the process explorer from
sysinternals, but I don't know how I can make it to log the results. Do you
know any tool that you have used that can help me generate this evidence? I
will google a little as soon as possible.