Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

From: "Relaxin" <me(at)yourhouse(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-04-17 22:10:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Have you actually installed and run this 'slow' (r)dbms ? On what hardware
> ?
> OS(s) / distro(s) ? Locales ? Collates ? Etc. ? What are you planning to
> do ?

Yes, Windows XP and Windows2000 to replace Firebird and other databases.

> I must say communities like this / ours are the juice of the
> industry. As opposed to proprietary systems and slow moving mammoths like,
> you know. No names. I once had a 'fully operational' #%-system installed
> with
> %#SQL-server and all. Yeah. Now I know.

We are not a *nix shop and SQL-Server is working great for us (SQLServer
2000 that is)

> What is slow ? Millisec-wise ? Local network ? Via internet ? Or is the
> bottle
> neck actually the bottle neck you are holding ? Grab the bottle and drink
> it,
> meanwhile, re-plan your query and output.

In my test PG was faster than Firebird in a few queries, but most queries
were much slower.

These test were on version 7.* of PG.
And I also just recently found out that PG ran under something called
cgywin??
I guess it's some kind of emulator.

I'm sure that could make thinks run pretty slow.

Thanks