Re: Fabian Pascal and RDBMS deficiencies in fully implementing the relational model

From: Agent M <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Fabian Pascal and RDBMS deficiencies in fully implementing the relational model
Date: 2006-06-09 11:09:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Well, the Date argument against NULLs (and he never endorsed them, or
so he claims) is that they are not data- they represent the absence of
data- so why put non-data in a _data_base.

If you are asking yourself the question how you can have support
multiple meanings in a column, normalize. Then, baldness is just
another value and you don't have to guess if the hair color is unknown,
undefined, or missing.