Re: Reconcile stats in find_tabstat_entry() and get rid of PgStat_BackendFunctionEntry

From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reconcile stats in find_tabstat_entry() and get rid of PgStat_BackendFunctionEntry
Date: 2023-03-22 06:44:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 3/22/23 5:45 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 11:37:03AM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
>> In the original description, "buffer fetches" appears to be a plural
>> form of a compound noun and correct, similar to "buffer hits"
>> mentioned later. If we reword it, I think it should be "number of
>> buffers fetched".
>
> Using the plural makes sense, yes.

Yeah, "buffer fetches" is similar to "buffer hits".

For consistency, ISTM than renaming it to "buffers fetched" would also mean
renaming "buffer hits" to "buffers hit". But then it would not be consistent
with the documentation for things like pg_statio_all_tables.heap_blks_hit, idx_blks_hit, toast_blks_hit,
tidx_blks_hit, pg_statio_all_indexes.idx_blks_hit, pg_statio_all_sequences.blks_hit
where "Number of buffer hits" is used).

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot