Re: Support Parallel Query Execution in Executor

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support Parallel Query Execution in Executor
Date: 2006-04-07 02:18:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

""Jonah H. Harris"" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote

> Great work! I had looked into this a little bit and came to the same
> ideas/problems you did, but none of them seemed insurmountable at all.
> I'd be interested in working with you on this if you'd like.

Yes, I am happy to work with anyone on the topic. The plan in mind is like
this:
(1) stable the master-slave seqscan: solve all the problems left;
(2) parallize the seqscan: AFAICS, this should not very difficult based on
1, may only need some scan portition assignment;
(3) add an indexscan or other one or two node type to master-slave
solution: this is in order to make the framework extensible;
(4) parallize these node - this will be a big chunk of job;
(5) add a two-phase optimization to the server - we have to consider the
partitioned table in this stage, yet another big chunk of job;

Regards,
Qingqing