Re: Sorting by constant values

From: Franco Bruno Borghesi <fborghesi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: robert(at)webtent(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sorting by constant values
Date: 2005-05-03 17:50:35
Lists: pgsql-general

You can order by conditions, lets say column='Unit'. The evaluation of a
conditions will give you 't' or 'f', and alfabetically 'f' < 't'... you
should use DESC to get the matches first. So, it would be more or less like
this:

ORDER BY
column='Unit' DESC,
column='Exterior' DESC,
column='Common' DESC

I don't think this is performant though. If you have many rows to evaluate,
you could create a funtion like this:
CREATE FUNCTION evaluate(TEXT) RETURNS TEXT LANGUAGE 'sql' AS '
SELECT $1='Unit' || $1='Exterior' || $1='Common';
'
This function would return something like 'tff', 'ftf', 'fft', and you
should be able to create an index on that function. Then you can use the
index to order your rows.

Hope it helps ;)