Re: fix crash with Python 3.11

From: Markus Wanner <markus(dot)wanner(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fix crash with Python 3.11
Date: 2022-06-24 12:04:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/24/22 00:54, Tom Lane wrote:
> Does such code exist? I don't see any other calls in Debian code search,
> and I find it hard to believe that anyone would think such a thing is
> maintainable.

Such a thing does exist within PGLogical and BDR, yes.

Thanks for your concern about maintainability. So far, that part was not
posing any trouble. Looking at e.g. postgres.c, the sigsetjmp handler
there didn't change all that much in recent years. Much of the code
there is from around 2004 written by you.

However, that shouldn't be your concern at all. Postgres refusing to
start after a minor upgrade probably should, especially when it's due to
an API change in a stable branch.

Regards

Markus