Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-04-22 19:52:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-04-22 Sa 11:37, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>> On 2023-04-22 Sa 10:39, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Another obstacle in the way of (1) is that there was some discussion
>>> of changing perltidy version and/or options. But I don't believe
>>> we have a final proposal on that, much less committed code.
>> Well, I posted a fairly concrete suggestion with an example patch
>> upthread at
>> <https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/47011581-ddec-1a87-6828-6edfabe6b7b6%40dunslane.net>
>> I still think that's worth doing.
> OK, so plan is (a) update perltidyrc to add --valign-exclusion-list,
> (b) adjust pgindent/README to recommend perltidy version 20221112.
>
> Questions:
>
> * I see that there's now a 20230309 release, should we consider that
> instead?

A test I just ran gave identical results to those from 20221112

> * emacs.samples provides pgsql-perl-style that claims to match
> perltidy's rules. Does that need any adjustment? I don't see
> anything in it that looks relevant, but I'm not terribly familiar
> with emacs' Perl formatting options.

At least w.r.t. the vertical alignment issue, AFAICT the emacs style
does not attempt to align anything vertically except the first non-space
thing on the line. So if anything, by abandoning a lot of vertical
alignment it would actually be closer to what the sample emacs style does.

The great advantage of not doing this alignment is that there is far
less danger of perltidy trying to realign lines that have not in fact
changed, because some nearby line has changed. So we'd have a good deal
less pointless churn.

cheers

andrew

--