Re: postgres startup method for ubuntu

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "T(dot)J(dot) Adami" <adamitj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres startup method for ubuntu
Date: 2008-01-31 17:17:55
Lists: pgsql-general

T.J. Adami wrote:

> > The source comes with a startup script that can be installed by
> > running:
> > # cp contrib/start-scripts/linux /etc/init.d/postgresql
> > # update-rc.d postgresql defaults
> > (update-rc.d is to debian-based systems what chkconfig is to
> > Redhat-based systems).
> >
> > --
> > Daniel
>
> This adds shutdown scripts too? I need the server shutdown by 'pg_ctl
> stop', not by linux killing the process (init 0 or shutdown commands
> are very useful sometimes ;)

Yes. update-rc.d set things up so that at boot time the system will
execute: /etc/init.d/postgresql start, and at shutdown time:
/etc/init.d/postgresql stop

Additionally, the root user can also execute when needed:
/etc/init.d/postgresql {stop|start|reload|restart}

That's the standard way of starting and stopping services on linux,
both automatically and manually.

--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: