Will Postgres ever lock with read only queries?

From: Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Will Postgres ever lock with read only queries?
Date: 2009-07-28 00:54:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi. I'm seeing some weird behavior in Postgres. I'm running read only
queries (SELECT that is - no UPDATE or DELETE or INSERT is happening at
all). I can run one rather complicated query and the results come back...
eventually. Likewise with another. But, when I run both queries at the
same time, Postgres seems to ground to a halt. Neither one completes. In
fact, pgAdmin locks up - I need to cancel them using psql.
I'd expect this from MySQL but not Postgres. Am I doing something wrong? Or
missing something?