Relational Algebra and Aggregate Functions

From: Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Relational Algebra and Aggregate Functions
Date: 2009-07-26 19:36:26
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm working on improving my background database theory, to aid in practice.
I've found learning relational algebra to be very helpful. One thing which
relational algebra doesn't cover is aggregate functions. Can anyone
recommend any papers or web pages which provide some good theoretical
background for aggregate functions?