Re: Window-functions patch handling of aggregates

From: "Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Greg Stark" <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Window-functions patch handling of aggregates
Date: 2008-12-25 10:49:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2008/12/25 Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>:
> Yeah, it seems like adding a flag like iswindowable to aggregate functions
> is the safest option.
>
> It would be nice if it represented an abstract property of the state
> function or final function rather than just "works with the implementation
> of window functions". I'm not sure what that property is though -
> isidempotent? isreentrant? Maybe just a vague isrepeatable?

No, I meant wrinting such like:

Datum
some_trans_fn(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
if (fcinfo->context && IsA(fcinfo->context, WindowAggState))
elog(ERROR, "some_agg does not support window aggregate");

}

rather than adding column to catalog. To add flag you must add new
syntax for CREATE AGGREGATE, which is slightly more painful.

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada