How to create an index for type timestamp column using rtree?

From: Chris Cheston <ccheston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to create an index for type timestamp column using rtree?
Date: 2004-07-13 05:51:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi all,

I'm storing some timestamps as integers (UTF) in a table and I want to
query by <= and >= for times between a certain period. The table has
gotten quite large and is now very slow in querying.

I think it's time to create an index for the timestamp column.

I tried using an rtree (for <= and >= optimization):

create INDEX logs_timestamp ON logs using rtree (timestamp);

but I get

ERROR: data type integer has no default operator class for access
method "rtree"
You must specify an operator class for the index or define a
default operator class for the data type

Do I have to create an rtree type for my timestamp integer column?

Existing rtree columns are below.

Pls help.

Thanks,
Chris

server=> select am.amname as acc_method, opc.opcname as ops_name from
pg_am am, pg_opclass opc where opc.opcamid = am.oid order by
acc_method, ops_name;
acc_method | ops_name
------------+-----------------
btree | abstime_ops