Re: WIP Patch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors

From: Marina Polyakova <m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: WIP Patch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors
Date: 2017-08-16 15:44:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi,

Hello!

> Just had a need for this feature, and took this to a short test
> drive. So some comments:
> - it'd be useful to display a retry percentage of all transactions,
> similar to what's displayed for failed transactions.

> - it'd be useful to also conveniently display the number of retried
> transactions, rather than the total number of retries.

Ok!

> - it appears that we now unconditionally do not disregard a connection
> after a serialization / deadlock failure. Good. But that's useful far
> beyond just deadlocks / serialization errors, and should probably be
> exposed.

I agree that it will be useful. But how do you propose to print the
results if there are many types of errors? I'm afraid that the progress
report can be very long although it is expected that it will be rather
short [1]. The per statement report can also be very long..

> Nice feature!

Thanks and thank you for your comments :)

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/alpine.DEB.2.20.1707121142300.12795%40lancre

--
Marina Polyakova