Re: PANIC: heap_update_redo: no block

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PANIC: heap_update_redo: no block
Date: 2006-03-20 11:54:17
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

""Alex bahdushka"" <bahdushka(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote

> After doing some more digging, it looks like that server was missing
> the appropriate Kpostgresql symlink in /etc/rc0.d/. So upon shutdown
> (shutdown -h now)... my guess is it got a sigterm (you know where it
> says Sending all processes a TERM signal or whatever), then it (init)
> waited 5 seconds or whatever the timeout is and sent a sigkill.
>
> If postgresql took longer to shutdown than that timeout and so was
> then given a sigkill and then server turned off.... Could that do it?

I don't believe in this explaination actually. According the startup
message, the error "heap_update_redo: no block" could most possibly happen
when PostgreSQL tried to read an existing block but found that the file
length is not long enough to have it. How could a SIGKILL truncate a data
file like that?

Regards,
Qingqing