Re: PostgreSQL committer history?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL committer history?
Date: 2006-03-09 19:37:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Robert Treat wrote:
> There are a few minor things like typos and what not that I have
> seen that I wouldn't waste the time on to send in a patch that I would fix if
> I had commit...

Yipes. Is committing really easier than submitting patches?

I would have thought that sending in a patch is
at least as a light an activity than doing a commit.

IIRC, the mechanics of sending a patch is
1. typing "cvs diff"
1b. reading carefully to make sure all's OK
2. emailing it to patches with an explanation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would expect the mechanics
of committing to be
1. typing "cvs diff" to see what changed, and
1b. reading *extremely* carefully
2. typing "cvs commit" with the same explanation.

If committing is really easier than submitting patches,
it seems someone should either make committing harder or
make submitting patches easier.