Re: Autovacuum / full vacuum

From: Michael Riess <mlriess(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum / full vacuum
Date: 2006-01-17 14:50:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

Well,

I think that the documentation is not exactly easy to understand. I
always wondered why there are no examples for common postgresql
configurations. All I know is that the default configuration seems to be
too low for production use. And while running postgres I get no hints as
to which setting needs to be increased to improve performance. I have no
chance to see if my FSM settings are too low other than to run vacuum
full verbose in psql, pipe the result to a text file and grep for some
words to get a somewhat comprehensive idea of how much unused space
there is in my system.

Don't get me wrong - I really like PostgreSQL and it works well in my
application. But somehow I feel that it might run much better ...

about the FSM: You say that increasing the FSM is fairly cheap - how
should I know that?