Re: Database file compatability

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database file compatability
Date: 2005-09-27 01:49:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

""Jim C. Nasby"" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> wrote
> If a database is created with a 64 bit version of initdb, would a 32bit
> backend be able to talk to it? Likewise, would a backend compiled by a
> different compiler be able to?

The key problem I believe is the serials of ALIGNOF macros. Especially for
MAX_ALIGNOF. Different Hardware/OS/compiler will have different
understanding of it. Compare your two versions PG, if they match, then with
big chance, you can exchange their data.

> If there was some kind of incompatability, would the backend just refuse
> to start, or would it start and start silently trashing data?
> --

Undefined. Mostly core dump.

Regards,
Qingqing