Re: tuplesort_gettuple_common() and *should_free argument

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, hlinnaka <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tuplesort_gettuple_common() and *should_free argument
Date: 2017-03-13 15:23:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Peter,

On 3/2/17 9:43 AM, David Steele wrote:
> Peter,

>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:16 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> [ in the service of closing out this thread... ]

>>> Um, I didn't find it all that self-explanatory. Why wouldn't we want
>>> to avoid writing undefined data? I think the comment at least needs
>>> to explain exactly what part of the written data might be uninitialized.
>>> And I'd put the comment into valgrind.supp, too, not in the commit msg.
>>>
>>> Also, the suppression seems far too broad. It would for instance
>>> block any complaint about a write() invoked via an elog call from
>>> any function invoked from any LogicalTape* function, no matter
>>> how far removed.
>
> It looks like we are waiting on a new patch. Do you know when you will
> have that ready?

It's been a while since there was a new patch or any activity on this
thread.

If you need more time to produce a patch, please post an explanation for
the delay and a schedule for the new patch. If no patch or explanation
is is posted by 2017-03-16 AoE I will mark this submission
"Returned with Feedback".

Thanks,
--
-David