Re: Change JOIN tutorial to focus more on explicit joins

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, shammat(at)gmx(dot)net, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Change JOIN tutorial to focus more on explicit joins
Date: 2020-05-27 08:29:03
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On 20.05.20 23:56, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 1:37 AM PG Doc comments form
> <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>> The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
>>
>> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/tutorial-join.html
>>
>> The tutorial about joins makes the following statement about the explicit
>> JOIN operator:
>>
>>> This syntax is not as commonly used as the one above
>> I think in 2020 this claim is no longer true, and I would love to see the
>> manual prefer the "modern" explicit JOIN operator rather than sticking to
>> the ancient implicit joins in the WHERE clause.
> +1
>
> The "new" syntax is 28 years old, from SQL 92. I don't see too many
> SQL 86 joins. Would you like to write a documentation patch?

The attached patch

- prefers the explicit join-syntax over the implicit one and explains
the keywords of the explicit syntax

- uses a more accurate definition of 'join'

- separates <programlisting> and <screen> tags

- shifts <indexterm> definitions outside of <para> to get a better
rendering in PDF

- adds a note concerning IDs and foreign keys

--

J. Purtz

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-query.patch text/x-patch 7.6 KB