No tables in postgres and template db

From: Marco Battelapesca <barm4rco(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: No tables in postgres and template db
Date: 2010-02-17 01:13:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all, i'm a newby in postgresql. Now i'm learning ddl and sql. In the
future i'dd like to learn db management.
Yesterday i installed Windows 7 64 bit into one partition and ubuntu 6.10
64 bit into the other (i've decided to learn linux as well). I installed the
last version of potgresql and the installation worked fine on both the
operative system.
I can access to postgres server and create my db and my tables. However i've
noticed that postgres,template0 and template1 contain no tables. I've
checked that by console and pgadmin.

(By linux console)

marco(at)marco-outis:~$ sudo -u postgres psql
[sudo] password for marco:
psql (8.4.2)
Digita "help" per aiuto.

postgres=# \l

Lista dei database
Nome | Proprietario | Codifica | collazione | Ctype | Privilegi
di accesso
-----------+--------------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
postgres | postgres | UTF8 | it_IT.UTF-8 | it_IT.UTF-8 |
prova | postgres | UTF8 | it_IT.UTF-8 | it_IT.UTF-8 |
template0 | postgres | UTF8 | it_IT.UTF-8 | it_IT.UTF-8 |
=c/postgres
:
postgres=CTc/postgres
template1 | postgres | UTF8 | it_IT.UTF-8 | it_IT.UTF-8 |
=c/postgres
:
postgres=CTc/postgres
(4 righe)

postgres=# \c postgres
psql (8.4.2)
Sei collegato al database "postgres". (you're connected to database
"postgres)
postgres=# \d
Nessuna relazione trovata. (no relations found)
postgres=#select* from pg_user;

usename | usesysid | usecreatedb | usesuper | usecatupd | passwd |
valuntil | useconfig
----------+----------+-------------+----------+-----------+----------+----------+-----------
postgres | 10 | t | t | t | ********
| |
(1 riga)

(END)
A little strange thing. as you can read, the console desn't give me again
"postgres=#" but "END". Only typing "q" i have again "postgres=#" wirh
cursor but the selected table with rows and columns disappears
It seems that tables are simply hidden. In pgadminIII i've the same
question.

Is all that normal or not?
Sorry for my english and thanks in advance.

Marco