Re: Queries take long long(10 sec.) time running

From: "Tomas Vondra" <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: "Andre Lopes" <lopes80andre(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "John R Pierce" <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Queries take long long(10 sec.) time running
Date: 2011-12-07 12:45:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On 7 Prosinec 2011, 11:28, Andre Lopes wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Seems my problem is SWAP/IO... I can only solve this putting more RAM
> on the machine or it is possible to put down this values only
> adjusting some settings?

You can set PostgreSQL, MySQL etc. to use less memory - so that it fits
into the RAM. What are the basic config parameters, i.e. shared_buffers,
work_mem etc.?

The question is why it worked fine for 45 days and then it started to slow
down. My bet is that the database grew for some reason (users entering
data, bloat ...). This often triggers sudden performance degradation.

Tomas