Re: [HACKERS] [WIP] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.

From: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [WIP] Effective storage of duplicates in B-tree index.
Date: 2019-08-21 17:19:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

20.08.2019 4:04, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 8:56 AM Anastasia Lubennikova
> <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>
>> It seems that now all replace operations are crash-safe. The new patch passes
>> all regression tests, so I think it's ready for review again.
> I'm looking at it now. I'm going to spend a significant amount of time
> on this tomorrow.
>
> I think that we should start to think about efficient WAL-logging now.

Thank you for the review.

The new version v8 is attached. Compared to previous version, this patch
includes
updated btree_xlog_insert() and btree_xlog_split() so that WAL records
now only contain data
about updated posting tuple and don't require full page writes.
I haven't updated pg_waldump yet. It is postponed until we agree on
nbtxlog changes.

Also in this patch I renamed all 'compress' keywords to 'deduplicate'
and did minor cleanup
of outdated comments.

I'm going to look through the patch once more to update nbtxlog
comments, where needed and
answer to your remarks that are still left in the comments.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
v8-0001-Deduplication-in-nbtree.patch text/x-patch 110.5 KB