Re: memory fields from getrusage()

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: memory fields from getrusage()
Date: 2017-09-01 19:46:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/15/17 10:58, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:29:21AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>>>
>>> All I care (which linux happily/happens to support) is maxrss; I was probably
>>> originally interested in this while digging into an issue with hash agg.
>>
>> I don't think it needs to go in a separate file. I'd just patch ShowUsage().

I have committed a patch that shows maxrss, with /1024 adjustment for
macOS. That should cover all platforms that I could find.(*)

I omitted the i{x,d,s}rss stuff. My understanding is that to show them
you should divide the numbers by the elapsed time in some specific way.
Seeing that neither Linux or macOS fill these numbers in, I lost
interest. Someone could produce a separate patch to address this.

Since you were only interested in maxrss to begin with, I think this
thread is concluded.(*)

(*) modulo buildfarm wrath