Re: Connect to a PostgreSQL-Server by TCP/IP

From: Tomasz Myrta <jasiek(at)klaster(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connect to a PostgreSQL-Server by TCP/IP
Date: 2005-08-10 10:38:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Fischer Ulrich napisal 2005-06-22 17:37:
> Hello
>
> I'm new in this List.
> I would like to connect to a Postgres-Server by a LabView-Client. The
> problem is, there is NO odbc-driver for LV on Linux and no LV-interface
> to postgreSQL.
> So I decided to make my own simple LabView driver. Are there some docs,
> which describes the basic communication over a tcp connection between
> the postgres server and a client? I'm interested in 'message
> architecture' (header, data for login, sql-querys and so on...) and all
> this stuff.
May I ask you, why do you want to make your own direct TCP connection to
PostgreSQL? I think, in your case it would be much easier to create some
wrapper for libpq or some other frontend library. It needs less work and
you don't have to be afraid about tracking internal protocol changes.

> I tried some backward engineering by sniffing the tcp connection, but it
> is rather anoying. It looks like the messages have some binary headers
> and they are a problem....
Maybe source code of common used PostgresSQL frontends like libpq will
help you?

Regards,
Tomasz Myrta