Statistics collection - Which options for which views? (8.2.4)

From: Neil Saunders <n(dot)j(dot)saunders(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsqlnovice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Statistics collection - Which options for which views? (8.2.4)
Date: 2009-05-11 14:45:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I've got a database on a hosted server that I'm interested in looking
at statistics for, initially the pg_stat_user_tables view. When I
query it, it's empty. Looking at the output the of SHOW ALL:

stats_block_level: off
stats_command_string: on
stats_reset_on_server_start: off
stats_row_level: off
stats_start_collector: on

So I'm assuming I need to ask the sys admin to turn on row level
stats? My question is which views/fields depend on row_level stats and
which depend on block_level stats?

tia,

Neil.