Re: Partitioned tables and relfilenode

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partitioned tables and relfilenode
Date: 2017-02-10 07:15:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017/02/10 15:58, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 10 February 2017 at 06:19, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> The new partitioned tables do not contain any data by themselves. Any
>> data inserted into a partitioned table is routed to and stored in one of
>> its partitions. In fact, it is impossible to insert *any* data before a
>> partition (to be precise, a leaf partition) is created.
>
> Where is all of this documented? All I see at the moment is old docs.

Last week I sent documentation patches in a separate message titled
"Documentation improvements for partitioning" [1]. One of the patches
adds a separate section in the DDL chapter describing partitioned tables.

Thanks,
Amit

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/bf9ebbb3-fb1e-3206-b67c-e7a803a747d9%40lab.ntt.co.jp