Re: extended stats on partitioned tables

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: extended stats on partitioned tables
Date: 2021-09-25 21:01:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/25/21 9:53 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 09:27:10PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> On 9/23/21 11:26 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>>> extended stats objects are allowed on partitioned tables since v10.
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAKJS1f-BmGo410bh5RSPZUvOO0LhmHL2NYmdrC_Jm8pk_FfyCA%40mail.gmail.com
>>> 8c5cdb7f4f6e1d6a6104cb58ce4f23453891651b
>>>
>>> But since 859b3003de they're not populated - pg_statistic_ext(_data) is empty.
>>> This was the consequence of a commit to avoid an error I reported with stats on
>>> inheritence parents (not partitioned tables).
>>>
>>> preceding 859b3003de, stats on the parent table *did* improve the estimate,
>>> so this part of the commit message seems to have been wrong?

>>> So I think this is a regression, and extended stats should be populated for
>>> partitioned tables - I had actually done that for some parent tables and hadn't
>>> noticed that the stats objects no longer do anything.
>> Agreed, that seems like a regression, but I don't see how to fix that
>> without having the extra flag in the catalog. Otherwise we can store just
>> one version for each statistics object :-(
>
> Do you think it's possible to backpatch a fix to handle partitioned tables
> specifically ?
>
> The "tuple already updated" error which I reported and which was fixed by
> 859b3003 involved inheritence children. Since partitioned tables have no data
> themselves, the !inh check could be relaxed. It's not totally clear to me if
> the correct statistics would be used in that case. I suppose the wrong
> (inherited) stats would be wrongly applied affect queries FROM ONLY a
> partitioned table, which seems pointless to write and also hard for the
> estimates to be far off :)

Hmmm, maybe. To prevent the "tuple concurrently updated" we must ensure
we never build stats with and without inheritance at the same time (for
the same rel). The 859b3003de ensures that by only building extended
stats in the (!inh) case, but we might tweak that based on relkind. See
the attached patch. But I wonder if there are cases that might be hurt
by this - that'd be a regression too, of course.

>> Attached is a PoC that I quickly bashed together today. It's pretty raw, but
>> it passed "make check" and I think it does most of the things right. Can you
>> try if this fixes the estimates with partitioned tables?
>
> I think pg_stats_ext_exprs also needs to expose the inherited flag.

Yeah, I only did the bare minimum to get the PoC working. I'm sure there
are various other loose ends.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
inheritance-fix-simple.patch text/x-patch 1022 bytes