Re: Fix Brin Private Spool Initialization (src/backend/access/brin/brin.c)

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix Brin Private Spool Initialization (src/backend/access/brin/brin.c)
Date: 2023-12-29 14:32:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/29/23 14:53, Ranier Vilela wrote:

> [...]
> >     >     the tuples by blkno, and we don't need the descriptors
> for that.
> >     >
> >     > Unfortunately I can't test on Windows, since I can't build with
> >     meson on
> >     > Windows.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >     In any case, the _brin_parallel_scan_and_build does not
> >     actually need
> >     >     the separate heap/index arguments, those are already in
> the spool.
> >     >
> >     > Yeah, for sure.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >     I'll try to figure out if we want to simplify the
> tuplesort or
> >     remove
> >     >     the arguments from _brin_parallel_scan_and_build.
> >     >
> >
> >     Here is a patch simplifying the BRIN parallel create code a
> little bit.
> >     As I suspected, we don't need the heap/index in the spool at
> all, and we
> >     don't need to pass it to tuplesort_begin_index_brin either -
> we only
> >     need blkno, and we have that in the datum1 field. This also
> means we
> >     don't need TuplesortIndexBrinArg.
> >
> > With Windows 10, msvc 2022, compile end pass ninja test.
> >
> > But, if you allow me, I would like to try another approach to
> > simplification.
> > Instead of increasing the arguments in the call, wouldn't it be better
> > to decrease them
> > and this way all arguments will be passed in the registers instead
> of on
> > a stack?
> >

> If this was beneficial, we'd be passing everything through structs and
> not as explicit arguments. But we don't. If you're arguing it's
> beneficial in this case, it'd be good to see it demonstrated.
>
> Please see the https://www.agner.org/optimize/optimizing_cpp.pdf
> <https://www.agner.org/optimize/optimizing_cpp.pdf>
> Excerpt:
> "Use 64-bit mode
> Parameter transfer is more efficient in 64-bit mode than in 32-bit mode,
> and more efficient in 64-bit Linux than in 64-bit Windows. In 64-bit
> Linux, the first six integer parameters and the first eight floating
> point parameters are transferred in registers, totaling up to fourteen
> register parameters. In 64-bit Windows, the first four parameters are
> transferred in registers, regardless of whether they are integers or
> floating point numbers."
>
> With function:
> _brin_parallel_scan_and_build(buildstate, buildstate->bs_spool,
> brinshared, sharedsort,  heapRel, indexRel, sortmem, false);
> We have:
> Linux -> six first parameters in registers and two parameters in stack
> Windows -> four parameters in registers and four parameters in stack

I suggested you demonstrate this actually makes a difference in
practice. Quoting a document is not that.

Also, that document is about C++, and while C and C++ are very close, I
wouldn't be surprised if there were differences. Furthermore, that
section talks about integer/floating point arguments, while we're
dealing with pointers, and it's not clear if that changes something (the
document has a separate section about pointers/references, which
suggests pointers and integers are not 100% the same thing).

And finally, I haven't tried disassembling the code, but I'd be quite
surprised if these things were not heavily dependent on the compiler
and/or optimization level.

> > bs_spool may well contain this data and will probably be useful in the
> > future.
> >
> > I made a v1 version, based on your patch, for your consideration.
> >

> I did actually consider doing it this way yesterday, but I don't like
> this approach. I don't believe it's faster (and even if it was, the
> difference is going to be negligible), and parameters hidden in some
> struct increase the cognitive load. I like explicit arguments.
>
> Personally I prefer data in structs, of course,
> always thinking about size and alignment, to optimize loading.

As I said, I think this is quite irrelevant because we'll call the
function maybe 10-times during the whole index build. With millions of
other function calls.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra