Re: fighting '<IDLE> in transaction'

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Vladimir Rusinov <vladimir(at)greenmice(dot)info>, Lewis Kapell <lkapell(at)setonhome(dot)org>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fighting '<IDLE> in transaction'
Date: 2009-11-05 18:08:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> Scott Marlowe escribió:
>
>> The real issue with idle in transaction isn't locking so much.  A
>> simple idle in transaction that just ran a select * from table limit
>> 1; will have made it so that vacuum cannot reclaim space that it
>> normally could until that transaction is committed or rolled back.
>
> That's not a problem in 8.4 either, because when the select finishes the
> snapshot is deleted and vacuum knows that it can remove those tuples.
> That's what we have the new snapshot management module for.

I know. The OP is running 8.3. The advantage of 8.4 was, I think,
pointed out upstream, but I wouldn't bet on it one way or the other.

This is one of the very cool things about 8.4 that you can't measure
in a simple benchmark, but in everyday operation I'm sure it can make
a huge difference.