Re: psql: FATAL: role "postgres" does not exist

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Martin Gainty <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: FATAL: role "postgres" does not exist
Date: 2009-09-27 03:18:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Martin Gainty <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> i prefer cygwin as all the unix commands are available but mkuser and
> groupadd arent up yet..ugh

You might be happier with VMs running BSD or some linux flavor. If
you have enough memory and 64 bit windows it should run well enough.
Being able to toss another server up for testing is useful.

> whats *supposed to* happen is
> RUNAS will run any command (the question is are we working with Windows
> Native Binaries or cygwin?)

yeah. I think that within cygwin you might be running as a windows
user not unix user. Can you sudo su - within the cygwin environment?
Or some kind of sudo like unixy command?

> not a big blocker.. I have a psql command prompt ..i can create roles users
> databases and tables now

I fell in love with psql when I first ran psql. I knew the db
couldn't suck because it had the best text interface I'd ever seen for
a db. :) I'll \ commands and \h syntax diagrams for $2000 alex...

> btw:those ipc libraries seemed to be wrapped around the axle of elog
> statements but thats another topic
> i commented out elog and replaced with printf..and all the ipc errors went

Ya lost me there. :) Is this a windows exclusive kinda thing?