Re: Postgres Sql7.3 Update

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "kunwarpal(dot)rawat" <kunwarpal(dot)rawat(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Sql7.3 Update
Date: 2009-09-03 17:11:51
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 6:09 AM,
kunwarpal.rawat<kunwarpal(dot)rawat(at)newgen(dot)co(dot)in> wrote:
> Dear Support Team,
>
> I am currently using postgresql version 7.3 and I want to upgrade this
> version.

I'm gonna assume you mean upgrade off of 7.3 to a newer version. That
would be a good idea. 7.3 is really old, unsupported and pretty slow
compared to newer versions.

> So, can you please help me regarding the
>
> 1.       List of upgrades/patches/service packs available to update the
> postgresql 7.3 version

PostgreSQL isn't generally "patched" like Oracle, but has new releases
generally available through packages. There's also the one click
installers and building from source.

So, what OS are you running, and how was pgsql installed?

> 2.       The list of feature that’s updating in each new version of the
> software.

For an upgrade from 7.3 to 8.4??? Way too many to list in one post.
For an update like 7.3.1 to 7.3.21, there aren't any feature
enhancements really, since feature enhancements are generally limited
to new releases (i.e. 8.0.x to 8.1.x).

Basically, the biggest feature enhancements from each major release
since 7.3 has been more performance, and overall improvement of the
dbms in terms of things like vacuuming and recovery and more.