Re: Cannot login for short period of time

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Henry <henry(at)zen(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: Thomas Markus <t(dot)markus(at)proventis(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot login for short period of time
Date: 2009-05-13 07:47:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Henry <henry(at)zen(dot)co(dot)za> wrote:
> Quoting "Thomas Markus" <t(dot)markus(at)proventis(dot)net>:
>>
>> check your hardware (especially harddrive) for errors.
>
> Ja, that was my first suspicion as well, but no.  Using a RAID5 setup, with
> smart monitoring, etc ... no errors.
>
> I've also just bumped up max_fsm_relations to 10000 - it was using the
> default of 1000 or something.  My database reindex in single-user mode
> kindly made the suggestion (we have many, many table partitions with hordes
> of indexes - relations approaching 9000+).  reindexing due to "Cannot find
> namespace X" error on insert.

Whether or not max relations is the root of the login hang problem,
you likely have gotten a fair bit of bloat in your database if your
setting was too low by a factor of 10 for so long. You may need to
look at recovering lost space in bloated tables and / or indexes. If
the bloat is real bad, look at dumping / restoring the database for a
fresh start. It's a pain because it requires downtime, but it's often
faster than anything else for a badly bloated database.