Re: triggers and execute...

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: triggers and execute...
Date: 2009-04-29 02:20:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Richard Broersma
<richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> OK, I'm hitting a wall here.  I've written this trigger for partitioning:
>>
>> create or replace function page_access_insert_trigger ()
>> returns trigger as $$
>> DECLARE
>>        part text;
>>        q text;
>> BEGIN
>>        part = to_char(new."timestamp",'YYYYMMDD');
>>        q = 'insert into page_access_'||part||' values (new.*)';
>>
>> When I create it and try to use it I get this error:
>> ERROR:  NEW used in query that is not in a rule
>> CONTEXT:  SQL statement "insert into page_access_20090427 values (new.*)"
>
> At this point I don't think that there is a way for this function to
> know the correct table type of new.* since page_access_... is still
> only a concatenated string.  There there a way to cast new.* to the
> correct table type as part of this insert statement?

Oh man, it just gets worse. I really need a simple elegant solution
here, because if I try to build the query by hand null inputs make
life a nightmare. I had built something like this:

q = 'insert into '||schem||'.page_access_'||part||' values (
'||new.paid||',
'''||new.timestamp||''',
'||new.total_time||',
'''||new.http_host||''',
'''||new.php_self||''',
'''||new.query_string||''',
'''||new.remote_addr||''',
'''||new.logged_in||''',
'||new.uid||',
'''||new.http_user_agent||''',
'''||new.server_addr||''',
'''||new.notes||'''
)';
execute q;

But if any of the fields referenced are null, the whole query string
is now null. So the next step is to use coalesce to build a query
string? That get insane very quickly. There's got to be some quoting
trick or something to let me use new.*, please someone see this and
know what that trick is.