Re: temp_tablespaces and RAID

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Marc Mamin" <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: temp_tablespaces and RAID
Date: 2008-12-22 18:07:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Marc Mamin <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To improve performances, I would like to try moving the temp_tablespaces
> locations outside of our RAID system.
> Is it a good practice ?

Maybe yes, maybe no. If you move it to a single slow drive, then it
could well slow things down a fair bit when the system needs temp
space. OTOH, if the queries that would need temp space are few and far
between, and they're slowing down the rest of the system in weird
ways, it might be the right thing to do.

I'm afraid we don't have enough information to say if it's the right
thing to do right now, but there are reasons to do it (and not).