Re: Experience with HP Smart Array P400 and SATA drives?

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Experience with HP Smart Array P400 and SATA drives?
Date: 2008-12-06 01:39:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:

> XFS has good performance, but I can't get over how many system failure
> corruption reports I hear about it. In any case, there's no reason this
> system shouldn't perform fine on ext3.

For simple testing you can take the file system out of the equation by
just using dd to / from the raw partition. I have a feeling this HP
RAID controller is just a low end piece o crap is the problem. I seem
to remember references to the P800 series controller being quite a bit
better than this one. But that was a while back.