Re: How to free disk space

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "postgres Emanuel CALVO FRANCO" <postgres(dot)arg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How to free disk space
Date: 2008-10-22 02:16:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Robert Treat
<xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 October 2008 09:00:30 postgres Emanuel CALVO FRANCO wrote:
>> After run VACUUM, you must run REINDEXDB to decrease indexes.
>>

> This is probably overkill, as you won't need to do this for a lot of tables in
> your database, and the locking issues are probably unhelpful.

Note, however, that if you have scheduled downtime and your db server
is fast enough, you can schedule a vacuum full / reindexdb during that
time. We had a rogue query that made a few of our largest tables very
very bloated (like 95% bloat) and we had some downtime to fix it and
it was way easier to just do the whole db with vacuum full verbose,
then reindex. I also had a chacne to set fill factors on some of the
tables that I'd wanted new fill factors on.