Re: declare column update expression

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Chris Velevitch" <chris(dot)velevitch(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: declare column update expression
Date: 2008-09-11 15:55:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Chris Velevitch
<chris(dot)velevitch(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> In 7.4, how do I declare that a column in a table is to be
> automatically set to the value of some fixed expression whenever a row
> is updated?

Oh yeah, if you can upgrade from 7.4 that would be a good idea, it's
getting a bit old and the newer versions of pgsql like 8.3 are
literally many times faster at most things. We just upgraded from 8.1
to 8.3 and resolved a lot of performance issues, I can't imagine how
slow it would be running 7.4 nowadays.