Re: How to setup tablespace and table partitioning in a template?

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Michelle Konzack" <linux4michelle(at)tamay-dogan(dot)net>
Cc: "pgSQL - Admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to setup tablespace and table partitioning in a template?
Date: 2008-07-14 18:10:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 7:37 AM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle(at)tamay-dogan(dot)net> wrote:
> * Do not Cc: me, because I READ THIS LIST, if I write here *
> * Keine Cc: am mich, ich LESE DIESE LISTE wenn ich hier schreibe *
>
> Hello,
>
> Our PostgreSQL server is using two SCSI Raid-1 controllers (each two
> channels) and I have 5 sets per channel (each two HDD in Raid-1 with one
> HotFix). In summary we have currently 15 Sets.
>
> Sometimes we have the need to duplicate servers and I tried to use the
> database scheme dump to install a new server...
>
> This dos not work. ALL databases and tables are created on a singel
> Raid-1 (the first one) and tablespace is ignored.
>
> Can anyone post an example how to do this, so I can edit my pgSQL dump
> sheme to correct this issue?

Well, I would use pg_dump -s to get the schema, then edit it by hand
to have the tablespace options I needed, then save it. In the future
as you change your hardware setup you can edit the file again to match
that setup. Then you can save a version of that file for each server,
since the hardware may not be the same.

I tend to start with SQL and move it to the server, not start with the
server then dump the sql.