Re: Rollback in Postgres

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Lewis Cunningham" <lewisc(at)rocketmail(dot)com>, "samantha mahindrakar" <sam(dot)mahindrakar(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rollback in Postgres
Date: 2008-07-12 13:19:08
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 3:20 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 09:40 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Please don't put links to copyrighted material on our lists.
>>
>> That's an odd thing to say, given that virtually every link on our
>> lists probably points to material copyrighted in some way.
>
> Prudence is all I ask for. We don't need to provide additional
> advertising for others, nor do we wish to embroil ourselves in
> accusations over copyright violations.

Neither do we need to bury our heads in the sand and not know what's
happening in the world at large around us. I appreciated the links to
the Oracle docs. I can't see how a link to oracle documentation that
is open and requires no login can be an issue of copyright violation.
I might see some issue of "poisoning the well" as regards patented
methods getting into pgsql, but that's about it. As for advertising,
I doubt there's anyone on this list that just decided to switch to
Oracle over just those links.

What I would appreciate as regards Oracle's flashback technology would
have been a link to a well written review showing the warts as well as
the beauty. I've found that Oracle stuff sounds good on paper, and
turns into a giant maintenance nightmare upon deployment. But that's
just what I've seen looking over Oracle DBA shoulders in the past.