Re: Probably been asked a hundred times before.

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: david(at)eclipsecat(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Probably been asked a hundred times before.
Date: 2008-06-24 18:02:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 8:30 AM, David Siebert <david(at)eclipsecat(dot)com> wrote:

> Which disto is best for running a Postgres server?

That is the subject of many a holy flame war. FreeBSD 7.0 seems to
currently be regarded as being one of the top performers.

I use ubuntu because it's easier to maintain and it provides very good
performance

> I just installed OpenSuse and downloaded and compiled the latest version
> of Postgres. It isn't that big of a hassle but I noticed that almost
> none of the big distros keep all that up to date with Postgres as far as
> what they have in their repositories.

Ubuntu does, and there are the PGDG rpms on the postgresql website
that work on RHEL / Centos / Whitebox linux quite nicely.

> I was wondering if anybody has made an Postgres centric distro? Just a
> nice stripped down server Distro that is ideal for running a database
> server on?

There's been a few pg_live CDs floating around. They're more of a
demo / super easy setup type of thing, not intended for production
use. But they are very handy for trying out pgsql.