Re: Details on community survey

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Shahaf Abileah" <shahaf(at)redfin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Details on community survey
Date: 2008-06-23 19:20:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Shahaf Abileah <shahaf(at)redfin(dot)com> wrote:
> Regarding the community survey on the website:
> http://www.postgresql.org/community/
>

> It would be great to have a little more detail about each of the TODO's –
> what it means, what's in scope, what's out of scope, etc.
>

> For example, PITR looks like a popular option, but there is already some
> PITR functionality in Postgres, so what would this TODO add?

The entry for PITR is for read only PITR slaves, which is another
whole level of functionality on top of the current cold standby PITR
we have.

> Also, there was some talk previously about building a new log-based
> replication scheme, and I don't see that on the list. Why not?

I would think a hot standby / read only PITR would be a log based
replication scheme of sorts, but I know what you mean.

I think the questions are written for people who are already somewhat
familiar with the issues, so they tend to be a bit short on
description.